All residents are encouraged to attend the Annual General Meeting and Elections on Tuesday, September 15 at 7:30 pm in the Bill Morgan Room of the Eva James Community Centre. At this very important meeting we will submit our Annual Report which reviews all of our activities for the past year. We will also elect our Executive Committee (President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer) and appoint Committee Chairs and Street Reps. We will also present the Paul Van Steen Sports Achievement Award. Refreshments will be served. Please see for more information
Election of Executive Committee
All Executive Committee positions are open for nomination by any resident of Bridlewood. You can nominate yourself or someone else by sending an email to Margaret at email@example.com before September 15th. Nominations will also be taken from the floor at the meeting. All Executive Committee members must be supporting members of the Association (having paid their $10 dues for that year). The term of office is for 1 year starting at the end of the Annual General Meeting to the end of the following Annual General Meeting. Following are the responsibilities of each position:
- President: chair meetings, manage and supervise all activities of the Association, develop and maintain good working relationships with the City of Ottawa and other organizations, sign bylaws.
- 1st Vice President: take over President duties in the absence of the President, responsible for the organization of all Association activities and special events including the AGM. The President may, from time to time, assign additional duties to assist in the management of the Association.
- 2nd Vice President: represent Community interests in the planning for and use of any community related facilities. The President may, from time to time, assign additional duties to assist in the management of the Association.
- Secretary: attend all meetings and record facts and minutes of each proceeding, act as custodian for all minutes and records, etc. of the Association and from, time to time, other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee
- Treasurer: maintain records of all accounts, disburse funds as directed by the Executive Committee, prepare financial statements and have year end statements reviewed by Financial Reviewer, with the Executive Committee prepare a balanced budget and any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
The Bridlewood Community Association relies on a number of committees to represent the views of residents, organize events and activities, communicate with residents and monitor development. Committees may be run by 1 Chair or 2 Co-Chairs. Every committee is looking for volunteers to advise and assist with duties. Each committee meets at the discretion of the chair (usually 3-4 times per year) and submits reports of their activities at BCA monthly general meetings. All residents are welcome to join any committees of interest to them and can find out more information by contacting the committee chair or Margaret at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our current committees are:
- Annual BBQ (Chair: Brenna Dube) – organizes and runs our Annual Member and Volunteer Appreciation BBQ. Looking for committee members interested in helping with planning and assisting on the day of the event.
- Cleaner Bridlewood (Chair: Charles Bouck) – new committee formed to organize, recognize and assist residents in adopting small areas of Bridlewood to keep clean. Looking for committee members to help with naming and “branding” the committee as well as recruiting residents to participate by “adopting” an area near them.
- Communications (Chair: Vacant) – develops Communication Plan (with assistance of Executive Committee and Committee Chairs) and executes the planned communications using website, facebook, twitter, newspaper articles, school newsletters, annual community newsletters and signs. Looking for committee members with an interest in writing articles, website updates or posting to social media.
- Corporate Membership (Chair: Tim Askew) – recruit local businesses to be corporate members, promote members via business directory on website, liaise with corporate members to develop further benefits of interest to businesses. Looking for members to assist in further developing our corporate membership program, deliver letters to local businesses, maintain communications with corporate members and coordinate events for corporate members.
- Development (Chair: Marc Favreau) – review and respond to development plans, issues and bylaw changes in and around Bridlewood. Looking for members with an interest in development to help review and form responses to development issues.
- Residential Membership (Chair: Vacant) – recruit and retain supporting members of the BCA and plan membership drives and events. Looking for members who enjoy talking with other residents on their street or at meetings, school fairs and other events with the goal of promoting membership in the BCA.
- Rinks (Chair: Allen Bursey) – prepare and maintain the 9 outdoor rinks in Bridlewood. Looking for members to coordinate individual rinks in Bridlewood as well as volunteers to help them prepare and maintain the rinks.
- Safety (Chair: vacant) – promote increased safety in Bridlewood using website, events, campaigns or other means. Assist residents with finding solutions to safety concerns by working with City staff and Police. Looking for members with an interest in community safety to help maintain safety webpage, identify safety concerns and solutions, assist residents and plan events or campaigns.
- Social (Chair: vacant) – organize and run social events for the community including: March Break Movie Night, Big Bridlewood Garage Sale and December Social. Assist with other events such as Annual BBQ and Bridlewood Family Bike Chase as available. Looking for members interested in helping to plan events as well as be available to assist during the event.
- Spring Sports (Chair: Lorraine Pigeon) Organize and run the Spring Sports program which brings soccer, softball and ultimate Frisbee to hundred of children in Bridlewood during May and June each year. Looking for members to take on a variety of duties required for the running of the spring sports program including: registration, webpage updates, team formation, responding to phone calls and emails, recruiting coaches, communicating with coaches and participating families, year end events, equipment and ordering of tshirts and other items.
- Street Representatives (Chair: Vacant) – recruit and support street reps, organize regular get togethers to share ideas and concerns. Looking for members who enjoy talking with their neighbours and other residents to build a network of street reps to help communicate ideas and issues both to and from their neighbours and the BCA as well as to provide tools to street reps and maintain webpage.
- Volunteers (Chair: Susan Wehrmann) – develop a volunteer base of both high school and adult volunteers to contact when opportunities are available. Communicate with volunteers to determine what their interests, ideas and availability are in order to match them with an appropriate volunteer position. Looking for members to help identify and communicate with potential volunteers (i.e. via high schools) and to match volunteer with appropriate committee or event.